Sunday, August 12, 2007

Ames, Iowa

So yesterday was the straw poll in Ames. The candidates did their best to win over non committed voters with their live music, BBQ, and stump speeches. Me being the Politico that I am, was not able to attend due to a nice vacation in Myrtle Beach but here is the run down of what happened:

1. As expected, Mitt Romney won the straw poll with a whopping 31%. He spent the most money and he convinced a lot of people that he is the conservative candidate. That is what Iowans were looking for... a true breed conservative. Romney made a great stump speech and won a lot of folks over. Did I mention that Rudy and John McCain were not in attendance? Not good for them.

- Okay, so here goes my ultimate confession as of today: I am supporting Mitt Romney for President. A lot to think about, but I have come around and seen the Mitt train coming right at me and I fell hard and fast, like a high schooler after a first date. Anyway, I believe Mitt is our guy for the R's.

2. Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee came in second with I believe 18% of the vote. Mike Huckabee is an awesome candidate. He speaks well, he relates with average voters, and he has this folksy grandfather lesson learned kind of thing going. I really like the way he debates. I don't know if he has what it takes to be in the first tier but I can see him being an excellent choice for a veep spot.

Perhaps a Mitt Romney/Mike Huckabee ticket?

More to come later....

No comments: